Monday, September 19, 2011

Making my own laundry detergent

After hearing of others making their own laundry detergent....and also seen it with the Duggar family on '19 Kids and counting', I decided to make my own. My friends have asked how I did it, so here is how. I kinda combined a few recipes to come up with with worked for me. The Duggar family heated and combined theirs to make a liquid detergent. I found that the powder kind was much easier to make and store and doesn't require any other pans or anything unlike the liquid recipe.

First- Buy the ingredients

Borax
Arm and Hammer Super Washing soda (different than baking soda)
Bar soap (can use Fels Naptha, Ivory, or I bought Goat Milk Stuff laundry bar soap
Container- Any will work, (ie. Tupperware, plastic container, up cycled food container)

Take the bar soap and grate it. I used fine grate. Pour in your container

Second measure 1 1/2 cups of Borax and Washing soda each into your container and stir well. If you like you can add a few drops of essential oil like lavender or lemon but I left my plain.

That my friends is it! Add 1-2 Tablespoons to your laundry depending on how soiled it is. Your boxes of Borax and Washing soda will make many batches you just buy a Bar soap of your choice when ready to make another.

The big laundry detergent companies would like you to think your clothes smelling good is a good thing....it is actually a bunch of leftover chemicals sitting on your clothes and those touch your skin. Freshly clean clothes should be smell free........




No comments: