Thursday, June 19, 2008

Being needed


As mothers don't we have that place in our hearts, in our souls where we just love to be needed (especially with our kids?) I know it makes me feel important. So can you imagine what went through my mind the day we received the brochure for a Christian summer camp...for 7 year olds and Paige tells me she wants to go. She just turned 7 and apparently they have camps for kids in first grade (What??? Who knew?) I know I went to camp in like 6th grade or something and even that was pushing it for me. I told her to pray about it and maybe in a month or so we could talk about it.
Well about a month went by and she brings up the issue again. She wants to go and thinks she is ready. She doesn't know anyone but says she'll make friends and learn about Jesus. This is a conversation we had that cracked me up from our little serious 7 year old...
Me: OK, at camp if they ask any questions you don't know the answer to, just say Jesus, cuz it is always about Him.
Paige: So if they (the camp) ask "Did you bring a blankie?", "I am just suppose to say Jesus?" with a smirk on her face.
Me: "Um well...No."

I should clarify that the camp is only Sunday to Wednesday. But Paige and I haven't been away from each other that long except for the times Laine has been in the hospital (and then dad or grammie was here). But I will cope. It is the least I can do. Yes I am out of my comfort zone. I don't have control over if she brushes her teeth and if her fingernails are clean. But there are more important things I am hoping she will learn. My prayer is she will see how many kids think Jesus is cool, and learning about Him is cool too, and swimming and canoeing and hiking and games.
They should make camp for grownups. I want to go too... She leaves this Sunday. I will keep you posted. Sure would be a long 3 hour drive in the middle of the night if she needs me. That's OK honey, I wouldn't mind a bit.

No comments: